The ad highlights a number of accomplishments from Sanford’s time in Congress and as Governor, including:
“When it comes to spending he was the most conservative governor in the country.”
– The CATO Institute ranked Sanford as the most fiscally conservative governor in the country in 2010, calling him “a staunch supporter of spending restraint and pro-growth tax reforms.”
“He was rated the most fiscally conservative member of Congress.”
– While in Congress, both the National Taxpayers Union and Citizens Against Government Waste rated Sanford #1 amongst all his peers for his efforts to reduce government spending and taxation.
“He eliminated almost a billion dollars in deficit and debt.”
– As governor, Sanford inherited nearly $1 billion in debt and deficits from the prior administration, all of which was repaid. The debt and deficits included trust and reserve fund raids, an unconstitutional deficit, and a GAAP accounting deficit.
“He said no to the big spenders in Columbia.”
– Sanford fought the practice of bobtailing all the way to the SC Supreme Court (where his view, the taxpayers view – ultimately prevailed), ended the long-standing practice of secretive pass-through spending at Cabinet agencies, and vetoed the legislative slush fund known as the “competitive grants” program.
“He said no to the Obama stimulus money.”
– Sanford was the first governor in America to formally reject stimulus money and fought its acceptance all the way to the SC Supreme Court.
“Our country is at a tipping point with regard to debt and deficit, and our record is one of not just talking about those things, but doing something about it,” Sanford said. “If you look at the trajectory of spending and debt that we’re on, we have very little time left to get our fiscal house in order. During my time both in the Governorship and Congress, I consistently made the tough choices, rather than kicking the can further down the road, on excessive spending.”
Below please find a transcript of the ad, and the ad can be viewed by clicking here.
Mark Sanford was a good governor,
A good governor,
A conservative governor,
When it comes to spending he was the most conservative governor in the country.
He was rated the most fiscally conservative member of Congress.
He eliminated almost a billion dollars in deficit and debt.
He said no to the big spenders in Columbia.
He said no to the Obama stimulus money.
Others talk about cutting spending, he actually did it.
Sanford went and did it.
He holds up his convictions with courage.
Mark Sanford is exactly what we need in Washington.
I’m Mark Sanford and I approved this message.
Editor’s Note: The above communication is a news release that does not necessarily reflect the editorial position of FITSNews.com. To submit your letter, news release, email blast, media advisory or issues statement for publication, click here).