CRIME & COURTSTRUE CRIME

‘Rose Petal Murder:’ Appeal Takes Aim at Prosecutors

Attorneys for convicted killer Zach Hughes put the state on the spot as they seek to overturn his murder conviction…

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

by JENN WOOD

***

A new status report in the appeal of convicted killer Zachary David Hughes‘ murder conviction is shedding light on an expanding inquiry into what prosecutors knew about controversial evidence tied to victim Christina Parcell — and when they knew it.

The report, submitted Friday (August 21, 2026) to the South Carolina court of appeals, comes one month after appellate judges took the unusual step of putting Hughes’ pending appeal on hold and sending the case back to the trial court so he could pursue a motion for a new trial based on newly discovered evidence. Hughes’ attorneys are required to update the appellate court every thirty days while those proceedings remain pending.

The new trial motion has yet to be filed. Instead, attorneys Andrew Moorman and Mark Moyer said their team has spent the past month investigating what members of the prosecution knew prior to Hughes’ February 2025 murder trial about sexually explicit images involving Parcell and her young daughter — evidence the defense contends was repeatedly characterized by prosecutors as “unfounded” and “wholly unsubstantiated.”

Among the most significant developments disclosed in Friday’s filing (.pdf): Hughes’ attorneys assert they interviewed an assistant solicitor who participated in his murder trial — and acknowledged he and his co-counsel had personally viewed images of Parcell and her child in the nude as early as August or September 2024, approximately five or six months before Hughes went to trial.

That would support Hughes’ contention that he murdered Parcell because he had been led to believe by a co-conspirator that she was exploiting her daughter – and that the young girl was in imminent danger of being abused.

According to the status report, the prosecutor specifically recalled seeing at least one video depicting Parcell’s child nude, with Parcell walking out from behind the camera before also appearing nude in the video with her child.

That acknowledgment could become central to Hughes’ forthcoming effort to secure a new trial…

Support FITSNews … SUBSCRIBE!

***

A COMPLICATED CASE GETS MORE COMPLICATED

Hughes is serving life without parole for the October 2021 murder of 41-year-old Parcell, who was found brutally stabbed inside her sister’s Greer home.

Prosecutors alleged Hughes — who had no known personal relationship with Parcell — killed her after becoming involved with John Mello, Parcell’s former boyfriend and the father of her young daughter. At the time, Mello and Parcell were embroiled in a contentious custody dispute.

Hughes never disputed killing Parcell. Instead, he maintained he believed Parcell’s daughter was being sexually abused – and that his violent actions were an effort to protect the child.

The homicide investigation subsequently spawned another criminal case when electronic devices seized by investigators at the crime scene led to child sexual abuse material (CSAM) charges against Bradly Post, Parcell’s fiancé and one of the state’s key witnesses against Hughes.

Parcell herself was also implicated in that investigation.

***

***

Throughout Hughes’ prosecution, his attorneys argued evidence uncovered during the CSAM investigation was critical to explaining Hughes’ belief that the child was in danger. Prosecutors fought to keep much of that evidence from the jury, arguing allegations concerning Parcell were speculative, unsupported and irrelevant.

S.C. circuit court judge Patrick C. Fant III ultimately excluded much of the evidence, and Hughes was convicted in February 2025. Thirteen months later – in March of 2026 – Post pleaded guilty.

During Post’s plea hearing, assistant attorney general Camille Guthrie told the court investigators had recovered hundreds of images and videos depicting Parcell and her daughter nude or in lingerie. Guthrie said it was clear from the videos Parcell had set up a camera to film herself and her daughter performing nude exercises and posing.

Post agreed under oath the state’s factual summary was “substantially true and correct.”

Those statements prompted Hughes’ attorneys to argue prosecutors had fundamentally changed their position after obtaining his murder conviction.

***

Rose Petal
RELATED | ‘Rose Petal Murder’ SeNT Back To Trial Court

***

WHAT DID PROSECUTORS KNOW — AND WHEN?

Hughes initially asked the Palmetto State’s second-highest court to suspend his appeal in June, arguing there were two possible explanations for the apparent discrepancy: either prosecutors uncovered new evidence after his trial that validated what the defense had been arguing all along — or prosecutors already possessed the evidence and misrepresented its existence or significance while asking it to be kept from the jury.

On July 21, 2026, the appeals court granted Hughes’ request, holding his appeal in abeyance and remanding the case so a circuit court judge could consider a motion for a new trial based on after-discovered evidence.

The appellate court did not determine Hughes was entitled to a new trial — or make any finding that prosecutors engaged in misconduct. Instead, Hughes must still satisfy South Carolina’s five-part test for after-discovered evidence, including demonstrating it was discovered after the trial, could not have been discovered earlier through due diligence, is material to the case and would probably change the result if a new trial were granted.

The defense’s investigation since that ruling appears increasingly focused on establishing precisely what prosecutors and investigators knew about the disputed material before Hughes’ trial.

According to Friday’s filing, Hughes’ defense has retained a former federal special agent to assist with that investigation. The team has also contacted Guthrie, two Greenville County Sheriff’s Office (GCSO) deputies, a former assistant solicitor who handled a case connected to Hughes’ prosecution and the assistant solicitor who actually participated in Hughes’ trial.

It is the latter interview that produced some of the filing’s most significant assertions.

***

RELATED | ‘Rose Petal Murder’ Plea Deal

***

PROSECUTOR INTERVIEWED

According to the defense’s account of an August 14, 2026 interview, the assistant solicitor said he and his co-counsel collaborated on pleadings filed by the state leading up to Hughes’ trial.

More significantly, the prosecutor reportedly acknowledged the two had personally viewed images depicting Parcell and her child nude by August or September 2024.

The defense said it also questioned the prosecutor about why the state nonetheless characterized its assertions concerning the material and Parcell’s alleged participation as “unfounded,” “wholly unsubstantiated” and similar terms.

According to the filing, the assistant solicitor offered several explanations, including that prosecutors could not know the full context surrounding the images because Parcell was dead and therefore could not be questioned about them.

The status report also revealed the existence of a previously undisclosed ex parte trial brief submitted by prosecutors to judge Fant shortly before Hughes’ trial.

***

***

According to the assistant solicitor’s account, prosecutors acknowledged in that brief that images depicting Parcell and her child nude existed. The prosecutor said the State also advised Fant that the child had failed to authenticate the images when questioned and that, because Parcell could not be interviewed, prosecutors could not eliminate the possibility that she had been coerced or was herself a victim of sex trafficking.

Hughes’ attorneys requested a copy of that trial brief during the interview. According to the status report, prosecutors indicated they would consider providing it, but the defense had not received it as of Friday’s filing. The defense noted that it, too, had submitted an ex parte trial brief before trial after receiving permission from the court to do so.

The defense further stated it has been unable to locate evidence supporting the possibility that Parcell was coerced or trafficked, noting that Guthrie’s subsequent factual presentation during Post’s guilty plea did not raise either possibility. That assertion, however, is the defense’s characterization of the evidence and has not been adjudicated by a court.

Notably, the assistant solicitor reportedly told Hughes’ attorneys he would still characterize their pretrial assertions as “unfounded” if he had to do it again.

***

ATTORNEY GENERAL BLOCKS INTERVIEW

Hughes’ attorneys also attempted to interview Guthrie, who prosecuted Post’s CSAM case for the South Carolina Attorney General’s Office.

According to the status report, Guthrie emailed the defense on August 12, 2026 and said she had received no additional information from law enforcement in the Post case after March 2022.

That assertion could prove particularly significant to Hughes’ argument that the State’s position changed only after his trial: if accurate, it would suggest the prosecutor who later presented the factual basis for Post’s guilty plea was relying on a case file that had not been supplemented with additional law enforcement information after March 2022.

Guthrie also reportedly told Hughes’ attorneys she sent her “full case file” — minus CSAM and forensic reports — to the Thirteenth Circuit Solicitor’s Office in March 2022 and again in April 2024.

The status report said Guthrie also informed Hughes’ attorneys that her superiors would not allow her to sit for an interview with the defense. The filing did not identify who within the attorney general’s office made that decision or explain the reason for it.

***

A DIFFERENT JUDGE

There has also been a significant change in who will decide Hughes’ forthcoming motion. Judge Fant presided over Hughes’ murder trial and made the evidentiary rulings now at the center of both his pending appeal and his anticipated motion for a new trial.

But Fant will apparently not decide the remanded proceedings.

According to the status report, the trial court informed the parties on August 14, 2026 that the chief administrative judge for the thirteenth judicial circuit, Lawton McIntosh, would preside over the remand proceedings instead of Fant. Hughes’ attorneys have also moved to disqualify the entire thirteenth circuit solicitor’s office from participating in the remand proceedings.

The status report does not indicate whether that motion has been decided.

***

WHAT COMES NEXT?

Hughes’ defense investigation is continuing.

A former assistant solicitor who prosecuted a case connected to Hughes’ case has agreed to an interview, although the defense must arrange it through the former prosecutor’s attorney. Meanwhile, two GCSO deputies whom Hughes’ attorneys believe possess relevant information have declined to be interviewed.

The defense contacted the sheriff’s office Friday about serving subpoenas and was told the requests would be forwarded to the deputies, although the agency’s point of contact said, “I can not (sic) force them to respond.”
Over the next month, Hughes’ attorneys say they intend to interview additional witnesses and expect to develop a “more crystallized view” of the theories they will ultimately pursue in their new-trial motion. They also hope their next status report will provide more information about when that motion will be filed — and when a hearing could be held.

The latest filing did not establish that prosecutors withheld evidence, misled the court or otherwise committed misconduct. Those remain allegations Hughes’ attorneys are investigating and preparing to litigate.

But the defense’s inquiry is now moving beyond the apparent discrepancy between what prosecutors argued before Hughes’ trial and what the State later said during Post’s guilty plea.

The emerging question is considerably more specific: what did each member of the prosecution team actually know about the disputed evidence before Hughes went to trial, when did they know it — and what did they tell the judge who ultimately prevented the jury from hearing it?

***

THE FILING…

Subscriber-only document

This PDF is available to FITSNews subscribers. Get full access and be able to view documents like this one.

Subscribe for access

***

ABOUT THE AUTHOR …

Jenn Wood (Provided)

As a private investigator turned journalist, Jenn Wood brings a unique skill set to FITSNews as its research director. Known for her meticulous sourcing and victim-centered approach, she helps shape the newsroom’s most complex investigative stories while producing the FITSFiles and Cheer Incorporated podcasts. Jenn lives in South Carolina with her family, where her work continues to spotlight truth, accountability, and justice.

***

SOUND OFF…

Got something you’d like to say in response to one of our articles? Or an issue you’d like to address proactively? We have an open microphone policy! Submit your letter to the editor (or guest column) via email HERE. Got a tip for a story? CLICK HERE. Got a technical question or a glitch to report? CLICK HERE.

***

Subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here…

*****

Related posts

CRIME & COURTS

Stephen Smith: Grand Jury Zeroing In On ‘Primary Suspects’

Will Folks
CRIME & COURTS

Connor Lloyd Murder Case: Dutch Court Honors U.S. Custody Order

Callie Lyons
CRIME & COURTS

Serial Armed Robber Released By Order Of Retired South Carolina Judge

Callie Lyons

Leave a Comment