This is one of those totally pointless stories in which “candidate A says ‘X’ about candidate B who says ‘Y’ in response.”
It’s not news … it’s friggin’ algebra. And yet here we are plugging names and allegations into the same old formula.
Weak … we admit.
Anyway, in the increasingly mind-numbing race for South Carolina’s first congressional district, former S.C. State Sen. John Kuhn is running a television ad attacking former Gov. Mark Sanford (and two other candidates – State Senator Larry Grooms and S.C. Rep. Chip Limehouse) for their support of a “massive earmark spending bill that cost taxpayers $250 million.”
Here’s the spot …
(Click to play)
Sanford’s campaign blasted the ad as “false on virtually every claim” as well as “desperate and intentionally misleading.”
They also touted a FactCheck.org review of the ad which concluded that it was inaccurate.
Kuhn’s campaign stood by the spot.
“Governor Sanford’s accusations of deception are highly ironic, considering his history of lying to the people of the State of South Carolina,” Kuhn said in a statement. “Mark Sanford’s response to our campaign’s television ad only addresses his actions in 2004. Our ad is about my successful filibuster in 2003 and subsequent opposition to the bill when it was re- introduced in 2004.”
Kuhn added that Sanford was “simply attempting to revise history yet again.”
Sanford and Kuhn are among the sixteen candidates seeking the GOP nomination for the first district seat – which was vacated earlier this year by newly appointed U.S. Sen. Tim Scott. Assuming no candidate receives more than fifty percent of the vote in March 19′s special primary election (a virtual certainty at this point), the top two vote getters will square off two weeks later in a runoff.
The winner of that battle will face Democrat Elizabeth Colbert-Busch in May.