In news that’s likely to cause more than a few conniption fits among the S.C. General Assembly’s social conservative (a.k.a. Bible-thumping) contingent, the University of South Carolina has a new job opening for a LGBT program coordinator.
Wait … what’s that?
Glad you asked …
Job Title: Student Services Program Coordinator II – Coordinator for LGBT Programs
Internal Title: Coordinator for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Programs
Requisition Number 005453
Minimum Salary $32,741
Job Description The Coordinator for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Programs coordinates programs and services for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) students and educates the University community on LGBT matters. The position will serve as an office liaison / advisor for LGBT student organizations. As a member of the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs team, this person will also provide support and guidance on effective methods for retaining and providing cultural support to underrepresented students on campus.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
– Coordinating LGBT workshops, programs and services and maintaining drop-in assistance for students
– Coordinating educational and awareness-raising programs from design to implementation for the campus community and assist in activities of the department.
– Coordinating the Safe Zone training program for students and staff including recruitment, training and oversight of program volunteers and assessment of program effectiveness.
– Creating and implementing a variety of training sessions, facilitating panel discussion groups (as is necessary), coordinating co-sponsored programming with student organizations, academic departments and other campus units.
– Maintaining a continual awareness of LGBT climate concerns as it pertains to the work of LGBT issues and University policy development.
– Engaging in outreach efforts with other constituent groups that bridge multiple identities and engaging in advising, and encouraging/supporting students on issues related to identity development.
– Providing leadership training and development for designated students and student organizations.
Minimum Qualifications Master’s degree in Student Personnel Services or a related field and 1 year related experience, or a bachelor’s degree and 3 years related experience.
Must have demonstrated knowledge and understanding of LGBT issues and needs along with the intersections of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, gender identities and expressions of other areas of diversity as experienced in an institution of higher education.
As this website has stated on numerous occasions we unambiguously support gay rights. We also unilaterally reject discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation. Meanwhile as for marriage – we don’t think government should have anything to do with it (sanctioning or banning).
But positions like these are simply ridiculous … and have no place in any government entity.
Unless of course they’re prepared to create a position overseeing programs for straight white men.
In fact superfluous politically correct jobs like this one are the latest in a long line of reasons why we believe our state’s institutions of higher learning should be set free to pursue their destiny as private colleges and universities.