Proving that attention is a fickle mistress, Kate Plus 8– the reality TV show starring celebrity mom Kate Gosselin – has been cancelled by TLC after six seasons.
According to our friends at The Superficial, the show ended because “people finally realized watching a shrew harpie with Tara Reid’s stomach raise eight Asian kids is how other countries torture enemy combatants.”
In other words? Nobody was watching it …
Two years ago, Kate and her ex-husband Jon Gosselin were “The Great National Drama” – with a whopping 10 million viewers tuning into the televised spectacle that was the implosion of their marriage.
Obviously those numbers have plummeted in recent years … with Kate Plus 8 only averaging around 1 million viewers.
“TLC has decided not to renew another season of ‘Kate Plus 8,'” the network said in a statement Monday. “TLC hopes to check in with Kate and the family periodically with specials in the future.”
The statement added that the show’s final episode will air on September 12.
Despite the setback, Gosselin remains upbeat about her family’s future.
“We’ve had a great run!” she tweeted on Monday. “While it is very sad for me and the kids (there were many tears at the breakfast table this morning!)…we are looking forward with great anticipation to our bright future!”
Meanwhile her ex-husband said he was “very relieved” that the show had been cancelled, adding that “I hope that this will bring more privacy to my children and that they can get the proper attention they need for any personal issues they might have in the future.”