SHARE

jihad

The website of S.C. lieutenant gubernatorial candidate Bill Connor was hacked Tuesday morning – ostensibly by Islamic extremists who oppose his military service and views on the current conflict in Afghanistan.

“This site is hacked and owned,” reads a message from an anonymous individual, called “Dr. Hiad,” who claims responsibility for hacking the site.

Connor, a military officer who led the U.S. police advisory mission for the particularly violent Helmand Province (in the Southern region of Afghanistan) last year, wrote an exclusive column back in May for FITS outlining his views on the “way forward” in the troubled nation.

At the time, Connor called on the administration of President Barack Obama to “develop a solid and realistic vision of success and give our military the proper guidance and tools.”

Obama will announce that he is sending 30,000 additional U.S. troops to the war-torn, scandal-ravaged nation over the next six months in a nationally-televised address Tuesday night.  There are currently around 70,000 U.S. troops currently serving in Afghanistan.

Here is a screen shot of the Connor website taken shortly before 11:00 a.m. Tuesday …

hacked

“We are investigating the breach,” Connor campaign spokesman Joshua Gross told FITS. “Obviously it’s Islamic in nature so we’re assuming it’s related to his service in Afghanistan.”

Gross declined to speculate as to who may have launched the attack.

“Our focus is getting the site back up,” Gross said.

While in Afghanistan, Taliban leaders put a price on Connor’s head – a strategy often employed against top U.S. military officers.

UPDATE: An early version of Connor’s site is back up.

UPDATE II: Wowzas! A hack attempt similar to the one that brought Connor’s site attacked FITS this afternoon as well. Crazy stuff, indeed.